South Africa 2013

Diving in South Africa is always an adventure. Sea conditions can sometimes be difficult, the weather capricious, and underwater encounters very subject to chance, especially during seasonal changes. The end of October, end of the austral winter and beginning of the summer, is supposed to be the perfect time, according to local dive centers, for encounters with sand tiger sharks (the famous « Raggies ») that have not yet begun their migration, humpback whales which are still there, and also the best time to observe schools of hundreds of hammerheads on Protea Banks. And it is still possible to encounter a tiger shark and bull sharks occasionally.

So it is, with this hope in mind, that we leave in late October to spend two days at Protea Banks with African Dive Adventures, then 3 days on Aliwal Shoal with Aliwal Dive Center, up the coast to Durban.

But what is the point in getting everything ready and foreseen, when you do not count on the arrival of a great oceanic storm that will hit the east coast for four long and sinister days, ruining any hope of diving.

Bottom line, we have not seen anything of Protea Banks, cloistered in the lodge watching the rain falls, and the big Indian ocean swell brew a brown colored sea.  Disillusioned wandering in flooded malls, unable to venture into the surrounding mountains due to blocked roads and landslides, stuck in a cinema not to crack down, in short, the moral was put to the test…  And finally, it is without diving that we leave Margate. We call the last day the dive centre, to learn that the marina is closed all week … No regrets, no hope either…

The departure to Aliwal Shoal takes place without much hope … When we arrive, the diving club that has been a whole day without electricity, confirms us that launches tomorrow are cancelled, and the following days remain highly uncertain.  New strategic and necessary retreat to Durban for a day, visit of the aquarium and « Raggies » (the only ones we will see… Moral in socks …) and return full of hope in Umkomaas.

After narrowly being struck by lightning (in the thunderstorm, the electric relay located 20 m from the diving club just exploded), and a new restless night, we wake up haggard, staring at a gray dawn and a sinister sea. The wind seems to have abandoned the storm mode for a simple strong breeze, kind of much more measured position. We look for information, and finally, yes it is, there will be a launch today!!

As always in South Africa, launches are made from the beach or from a river that flows into the sea. It does not matter much in the end, because in all cases, you have to cross the barrier of the ocean waves in order to reach the open sea. And after 4 days of deluge, the situation at the shore is quite impressive: the waves break strongly in rolls of 4 meters, driven by a constant and strong wind. The water is brown, cold, sediment-laden by intensive land drainage. And in the distance, it seems to be pretty rough too, in shades of green gray tending towards a distant blue that seems inaccessible. No, it does not look nice, but yes, we will go because we still did not do all that to stall now!

It takes us more than half an hour, succession of failed attempts and tactical retreats, to pass the barrier of breaking waves. Then it’s fulle speed in this great ocean swells toward the reef. After the brown edge, the color is pulling slowly on the green as we reach the sea, then slowly turns into a reassuring blue when it is finally time getting into the water…

Sporty immersion in the swells, quick descent and immediate disappointment: no light, cloudy water, no life, very strong and painful surf, even at 20 meters depth. I take some pictures, without hope and conviction. A turtle passes by, a school of fishes goes away . We shudder, we get bored, we get out? Given the particularly sporty launching, the boat remains at sea for a minimum surface interval and we dive again, just before everyone vomit guts. Surprisingly, no change, still nothing on the horizon. The caves of the Raggies are empty. A blacktip shark passes to greet us a the deco stop, and disappears quickly. There is a large grouper who seems to be interested in us, finally approaching, a little … and fled before I could photograph it, in front of an extravagant charge of our guide, very likely decided to touch it at all costs (but where this urge to always want to systematically touch everything that comes, eh?) … Well, enough, time to get out.

Although the next day the weather situation still has not improved, it is not worse either. We console ourselves as we can. We then put us on a baited shark dive. Subtle nuance, no sharks are actually fed, they are « just » drawn with a drum, filled with a mixture made from marinated sardines. The subject has been discussed many times, so I leave aside the controversy. We chose the dive to see both the sharks  and what it is exactly , and also to do something and fight frustration… And how can we not want to dive in cold water, green and disorder, where we not see more than 5 meters, brewed by a large ocean swells of 4 meters, all in the midst of full of sharks excited by a container full of mashed sardines?

Repeating the previous day, the passage of the waves is long and laborious, and the navigation challenging as the sea is still rough. Upon arrival on site, the aptly named Shark Alley, you can see in the first hollow fins coming, attracted by the noise of the engine. No suspense, this is routine stuff here. Once submerged the drum, we wait a bit, just to attract the maximum number of sharks, and who knows may be the tiger. The wait is tough in the swell, but allows a quick briefing to supervise diving. Then it is time to dive among twenty sharks.

We stabilize at the first container. Sharks are everywhere, come very close. The visibility is not great, just a few meters, and the sharks appear from nowhere. Difficult to anticipate a shot, it goes fast. I take some pictures, trying to minimize the ubiquitous particles so water is loaded. Shocks and bumps during navigation killed my zoom ring and let me stuck to 17mm, which is sometimes insufficient to shoot in contact. After the first rush of adrenaline passed, and after two direct contacts in the fins and the back, man get used to it and takes his ease. I approach the drum to try to still shoot some more pictures. The water is full of singing humpback whales, and a pod of dolphins passes by in the limit of visibility .

Faster than I imagined, and although blacktip sharks are beautiful, I finally got tired of it. Then the cold is felt. The impression is mixed. The second dive on the reef is irrelevant, with even worse than the previous visibility. We can see a school of barracudas billowing above our heads, and that’s about it.

Photographic harvest of the week is therefore very thin, with only a few photos taken in difficult conditions, a still very limited visibility, and absent wildlife as consequences of terrible weather conditions.

Lot of regrets so in the end , but what can you do when the weather gets involved …

Un séjour plongée en Afrique du Sud est toujours une aventure. Les conditions de mer peuvent être parfois difficiles, la météo capricieuse, et les rencontres hasardeuses, surtout aux changements de saisons. La fin du mois d’octobre, fin de l’hiver austral et début de l’été, est censée être la période propice, à en croire les centres locaux, pour les rencontres avec les requins taureaux (les fameux « Raggies ») qui n’ont pas encore entamé leur migration, les baleines à bosses qui sont encore là, mais aussi le meilleur moment pour observer les bancs de plusieurs centaines de requins marteaux sur Protea Banks. Et il est toujours possible de croiser un requin tigre et des requins bouledogues, occasionnellement.

C’est donc avec ces espoirs en tête que nous partons fin octobre pour passer 2 jours à Protea Banks avec African Dive Adventures, puis 3 jours sur Aliwal Shoal avec Aliwal Dive Center en remontant la côte vers Durban.

Mais on a beau tout préparer et tout prévoir, c’était sans compter sur l’arrivée d’une superbe tempête qui a déferlé sur la côte est pendant 4 longues et sinistres journées, ruinant tout espoir de sortie et de plongée.

Résultat des courses, nous n’avons rien vu de Protea Banks, cloitrés dans le lodge en regardant les pluies torrentielles tomber, et la grande houle pacifique brasser une mer rendue marron par les torrents de boues déferlant des montagnes avoisinantes. Errance désabusée dans des centres commerciaux inondés, impossibilité de s’aventurer dans les montagnes avoisinantes pour cause de routes coupées et glissements de terrain, repli dans une salle de cinéma pour ne pas craquer, bref, le moral a été mis à rude épreuve… Et finalement, c’est sans plonger que nous quittons Margate. Nous appelons une dernière fois le club de plongée, pour apprendre que la marina est fermée toute la semaine… Pas de regrets, rien à espérer…

Le départ vers Aliwal Shoal s’effectue sans grand espoir… A notre arrivée, le club de plongée qui était resté une journée entière sans électricité nous confirme que les lancements du lendemain sont annulés, et les suivants très incertains. Nouveau repli stratégique et nécessaire vers Durban pour une journée, visite de l’aquarium et ses « Raggies » (Moral dans les chaussettes…), et retour plein d’espoir sur Umkomaas.

Après avoir évité de justesse d’être foudroyé (en plein déluge, explosion du relais électrique situé à 20 m du club), et une nouvelle nuit agitée, le réveil nous cueille hagard en nous offrant une aube grise et une mer sinistre, mais le vent semble avoir renoncé au mode tempête pour une position mesurée de simple forte brise. On se renseigne, et finalement, oui, on sortira aujourd’hui.

Comme toujours en Afrique du Sud, les départs se font depuis la plage, ou depuis une rivière qui se jette dans la mer. Peut importe, car dans tous les cas, il faut franchir la barrière de rouleaux de l’océan pour pouvoir atteindre le large. Et après 4 jours de déluge, le spectacle est impressionnant : les vagues déferlent avec force, en rouleaux de 4 mètres, poussées par un vent constant et violent. L’eau est marron, froide, chargée de sédiments par le lessivage intensif des terres. Et au large, ça moutonne déjà pas mal, en nuances de gris vert tendant vers un bleu lointain qui semble inaccessible. Non, ça ne fait pas envie, mais oui, on va y aller, parce qu’on n’a quand même pas fait tout ça pour caler maintenant !

Nous mettons plus d’une demi-heure pour passer la barrière des déferlantes, en une succession de tentatives avortées et de remise de gaz dans l’écume. Puis c’est le cap au large, dans cette grande houle océanique, vers le récif. Après le marron du bord, on tire lentement sur le vert au fur et à mesure que l’on gagne le large, puis lentement sur le bleu, et finalement, au moment de se mettre à l’eau, nous retrouvons presque un bleu rassurant…

Immersion sportive dans les creux, on descend et déception immédiate : pas de lumière, eau très chargée, pas de vie, un ressac très fort et pénible, même à 20 mètres. Je prends quelques photos, sans espoir et sans conviction. Une tortue passe par là, un banc se met à l’abri. On frissonne, on s’ennuie, on remonte ? Compte tenu de la mise à l’eau particulièrement sportive, on reste en mer pour un intervalle de surface millimétré, et on repart, juste avant que tout le monde vomisse tripes et boyaux. Etonnamment, pas de changements, toujours rien à l’horizon. Les caves des raggies sont vides. Un requin bordé passe nous saluer au palier, et disparaît rapidement. Il y a bien un gros mérou qui s’intéresse à nous, finit par approcher, encore un peu et … fuit avant même que je puisse le photographier devant une charge extravagante de notre guide, décidé vraisemblablement à vouloir le toucher à tout prix (mais d’où vient ce besoin irrépressible de toujours vouloir systématiquement tout tripoter, hein ?) … Bon, aller, ça suffit, on sort.

Le lendemain, si la situation météo ne s’améliore toujours pas, elle n’est pas pire non plus. On se console comme on peut. On mise alors sur une plongée « requins » avec appâts. Nuance subtile, pas de nourrissage des squales, ils sont « juste » attirés avec un bidon rempli d’une mixture à base de sardines macérées. Le sujet a déjà été débattu de nombreuses fois ici, donc laissons de côté la polémique. A faire, histoire de voir, à la fois du requin, et ce dont il s’agit, et surtout de faire quelque chose… Et puis comment ne pas avoir envie de plonger dans une eau froide, verte et trouble, où on ne voit pas à 5 mètres, brassés par une grande houle océanique de 4 mètres, le tout au milieu de pleins de requins excités par un bidon plein de purée de sardines ?

Répétition de la veille, le passage de la barre de vague est long et laborieux, puis la navigation éprouvante, la mer étant toujours très formée. Dès l’arrivée sur site, Shark Alley la bien nommée, on aperçoit dans les creux les premiers ailerons qui arrivent, attirés par le bruit du moteur. Pas de suspens, c’est la routine. Une fois les bidons immergés, il faut attendre un peu, histoire d’attirer le maximum de squales, et qui sait peut être du tigre. L’attente est rude dans la houle, mais permet un briefing rapide pour encadrer la plongée. Puis c’est la mise à l’eau, au milieu d’une vingtaine de requins.

On se stabilise au niveau du premier bidon. Les requins sont partout, viennent très près. La visibilité n’est pas terrible, quelques mètres seulement, et les squales surgissent de nulle part. Difficile d’anticiper un cliché, ça va vite. Je prends quelques photos, en essayant de minimiser les particules omniprésentes tellement l’eau est chargée. Les chocs et les soubresauts pendant la navigation ont eu raison de ma bague zoom qui, décalée, tourne dans le vide : je reste bloqué à 17mm, ce qui est parfois insuffisant pour shooter au contact. Une fois la première poussée d’adrénaline passée, et après deux contacts francs dans les palmes et dans le dos, on s’habitue et on prend ses aises. Je me rapproche du bidon pour essayer de shooter encore quelques clichés. L’eau est saturée du chant des baleines à bosses, et je crois apercevoir un banc de dauphins en limite de visibilité.

Plus rapidement que je l’imaginais, et même si les requins bordés sont des squales magnifiques, je finis par me lasser de les voir tourner ainsi. Puis le froid se fait sentir, et on remonte. L’impression est mitigée. La seconde plongée sur le récif est sans intérêt, avec une visibilité encore pire que les précédentes. On distingue un banc de barracudas qui tournoie au-dessus de nos têtes, et c’est à peu près tout.

La moisson photographique de la semaine est en conséquence très maigre, avec seulement quelques clichés pris dans des conditions difficiles, une visibilité toujours très réduite, et une faune absente, conséquences des terribles conditions météorologiques.

Pas mal de regrets donc au final, mais que peut-on faire quand le mauvais temps s’en mêle…


Gallery / Galerie Photo


Equipment used/Matériel utilisé : Nikon D300 Sea&Sea, 2 flashes YS-250, Tokina 10-17 mm.


Please follow and like us:

Leave a Comment

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *

Ce site utilise Akismet pour réduire les indésirables. En savoir plus sur comment les données de vos commentaires sont utilisées.